The 2 questions to build an impactful & ethical social media strategy
what to Ask yourself to make sure your social media strategy is aligned with your conscious brand’s values and goals
Social Media Marketing is not one size fits all. That is why, to build a strong Social Media Marketing strategy, I always recommend my clients be able to have a clear answer to these two essential questions:
Answering these two questions is CRUCIAL in determining what strategy to develop for your brand, what social media platform to be on, what type of content to create, how to best engage with your audience… and what to track to know how you’re doing & what to optimize!
If your business values, target audience and marketing goals are crystal clear, social media can (and will) be a great tool to help you grow your business effectively, in a way that stays true to your sustainable and ethical values.
QUESTION 1: WHAT IS YOUR MAIN BUSINESS GOAL WITH SOCIAL MEDIA?
Your answer to this question will have a massive impact on what social media platforms to be on, what type of content to share, what accounts to engage with and other elements that are essential in crafting a personalized and impactful social media strategy.
Here are a couple of the types of business goals I’ve helped my clients with through social media:
- Increasing website traffic / sales / app downloads from new potential customers, past customers, a new specific niche of customers, people in a specific location, etc.
- Increasing brand awareness among specific groups of people like young eco-enthusiasts, eco-loving vs. eco-curious moms, women living with chronic illnesses…
- Hyping up a new product or service being launched
- Increasing newsletter subscribers
- Attracting top talent to recruit within a company
- Helping identify investors and potential business partners
The list goes on! Your business’ social media goal can be just as unique as you are. That’s why your social media strategy should be too.
QUESTION 2: WHO IS YOUR CORE TARGET AUDIENCE?
Once you’ve figured out what your goals are with social media, the second step is to clarify who your target audience is. Why? Because knowing who you want to talk to is crucial!
Here are a couple of questions you should be able to answer instantly:
- How old are they?
- Where do they live?
- What’s their lifestyle like?
- What are they interested in?
- What causes do they value and advocate for?
- What types of brands or accounts do they follow?
- How knowledgeable are they about sustainability (or other key topics related to your brand)?
- How passionate are they about consuming more responsibly?
Combining this knowledge about your ideal social media audience with your business goals will play a key part in helping you determine what social media platforms to be on, what content to post (topics, formats, captions, calls to action…), when to post, as well as which accounts to engage with and how!
By figuring out your ICAs (Ideal Client Avatars), you’ll have a clearer idea of what type of visual content to post, what pain points or benefits to speak to in your captions, etc.
And when you combine that knowledge with your own social media-related business goals… that’s when the magic can happen and you can really start crafting a unique social media strategy that will work for your brand!
Need help figuring out (or refreshing) your conscious brand’s social media strategy? Not sure what platforms to be on, what to post, who to engage with or if / how you should run ads?
Or click here to find out more about the services The Social Palm offers